Are you thinking of making a move to the Great Plains? If so, there are plenty of things to love about making your home in the heartland. Generally, housing prices are affordable, communities are friendly and welcoming, and there’s enough space to stretch your legs, take a deep breath, and enjoy a slower pace than you might find in some of the larger, more crowded areas you might find on the coasts. The Great Plains is a region full of amber waves of grain, big blue skies, and wide-open spaces – but at the same time, it’s an area with many vibrant cities, full of diverse communities and plenty to see and do. If you’re considering making a move to this region of the country, there are many wonderful cities in several states to consider. Some of those include:
- Des Moines, Iowa: Des Moines, sometimes known as “The Capital City”, is a midwestern city full of diverse and thriving communities, warm and friendly people, and plenty to see and do. It has a thriving LGBTQ community, a rich arts scene, and plenty of career opportunities as well. It’s a great city to consider if you’re thinking of a move to the heartland. Read the full Des Moines Gay City Guide here.
- Omaha, Nebraska: Situated on the banks of the Missouri River, Omaha is another heartland city well-known for its pioneer history, museums, and warm and welcoming spirit. Even better, it is home to a growing and diverse LGBTQ community. If you make your home here in the heartland, chances are, you’ll be glad you did. Read the full Omaha Gay City Guide here.
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota: Sioux Falls, South Dakota is a friendly, vibrant Great Plains city that offers many great cafes, malls, shops, and venues to visit. Median income and home prices are fair for the state. The employment rate is good, and there’s plenty to do. Read more about some of the wonderful neighborhoods in Sioux Falls here.
- Wichita, Kansas: Wichita is often called the “Air Capital of the World” due to the large presence of aviation and aeronautical companies in the city. Although the city today has many industries and much to see and do, the name stuck. Beyond being home to a thriving aeronautical industry, the city is a warm and welcoming place with a friendly, eclectic vibe and plenty to see, do and enjoy. Truly, Wichita is wonderful! Read the full Wichita Gay City Guide here.
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Oklahoma City is the capital of the state of Oklahoma and is located in the center of the Great Plains region of the country. It is a city that is large enough for residents to have plenty to see and do, but small enough to still have a close-knit feel. People are kind and welcoming here, and there’s plenty to see and do. Oklahoma City would truly make a wonderful place to call home. Read the full Oklahoma Gay City Guide here.
After you’ve decided which city in the Great Plains is the best fit for you, your next step should be to connect with a realtor who knows that city and its neighborhoods well, and who can help you find a home that you will love and enjoy for many years to come. If you’re ready to do exactly that, we have over 20,000 LGBTQ realtors in our extensive network at www.GayRealEstate.com, and we are ready to help! Choose an agent and start a conversation – there is never a cost or obligation. We look forward to helping you find your perfect Iowa home soon!