Lexington, Kentucky is a friendly, eclectic city situated in the heart of the Bluegrass State. Its rolling green hills make it the perfect home for some of the fastest thoroughbred horses in the world – but it’s a pretty amazing home for people too. It’s also home to the University of Kentucky, some of the best bourbon in the world, and many friendly and welcoming neighborhoods. It also has a thriving arts and culture scene, and many excellent restaurants and entertainment opportunities. Even better, it has a vibrant LGBTQ community that is well-supported by a variety of resources across the city, including:
- PFLAG Central Kentucky: PFLAG of Central Kentucky is Lexington’s local chapter of the national PFLAG organization. PFLAG is the largest grassroots organization of its kind in the United States, and for many years, it has played an essential role in providing education, advocacy, support, networking opportunities, and resources to LGBTQ communities across the country. Monthly meetings and other community-building events and resources are regularly offered.
- Lexington Pride Center: Lexington Pride Center is a community organization that exists to encourage, support, and advocate for Lexington’s LGBTQ community. The group accomplishes this mission by planning year-round community and networking events like the Lexington Pride Festival, and by providing education, resources, and support for the LGBTQ community in the greater Lexington area and beyond.
- AVOL Kentucky: AVOL Kentucky, short for AIDS Volunteers of Kentucky, is a health and community services group that provides education, testing, housing, and other support services for individuals in Lexington and Central Kentucky.
- JustFundKY: JustFundKY was founded in 2006 with the mission of reducing discrimination against LGBTQ individuals through public events that highlight the many positive contributions of the LGBTQ community to the state, and by funding the efforts of other organizations who seek to do so as well.
- Civitas: Civitas serves Lexington and the greater Kentucky area and is a great way to get connected and become involved. It has the mission of promoting the success and growth of the LGBTQ business community and its allies through education, advocacy, and networking, as well as increased visibility for LGBTQ entrepreneurs and businesses in the community.
Lexington’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Lexington has so much to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. If you’re thinking of making a move to Lexington, you will find that the entire city is very welcoming.
While many LGBTQ people are living in the area, there isn’t a single gay neighborhood. That’s not necessarily a bad thing though – it simply means that there are many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from.
Two neighborhoods that are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community include:
- Chevy Chase: Chevy Chase is a hip, eclectic, historic part of town full of plenty of character. Originally designed as a mixed-use neighborhood in the 1920s and 30s, it is popular for its location convenient to the downtown area, while still maintaining walkable tree-lined streets, parks, excellent schools, and plenty of shopping and dining opportunities. The median list price of homes currently for sale in the Chevy Chase area is approximately $660,000.
- Downtown: Downtown Lexington is an eclectic mix of businesses, shops, restaurants, and a variety of homes in many styles and price ranges. It’s also home to many LGBTQ-owned and friendly businesses. The median list price of homes currently for sale in downtown Lexington is $395,000.
In addition to these two popular neighborhoods, there are many other wonderful communities to choose from throughout the city. Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact a Lexington Gay Realtor Today
Lexington is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Lexington and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Lexington has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Lexington, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact a Lexington gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!