Omaha is a beautiful heartland city situated on the banks of the Missouri River. It has a long and rich history and a forward-thinking future. Those who visit the city enjoy its warm, midwestern vibe, and that all can find their place and feel at home here. Even better, it has a thriving and diverse LGBTQ community, where all can feel welcome and celebrated. The LGBTQ community in Omaha is well-supported by a variety of resources across the city, including:
- PFLAG Omaha: PFLAG Omaha is the city’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Omaha seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- Heartland Pride: Heartland Pride is a community resource and support group that seeks to promote equality, civil rights, and inclusiveness for the LGBTQ community in Omaha and beyond. The group does this by celebrating and promoting the history, diversity, and prosperity of the LGBTQ community through events, education, festivities, and support and advocacy groups which it offers to the community year-round.
- Out Nebraska: Out Nebraska is a statewide advocacy and community support group dedicated to educating, supporting, and celebrating the lives of LGBTQ individuals across the state of Nebraska. The group works toward this mission daily by planning events, providing resources, and vocally advocating for the LGBTQ community and its friends and allies.
- Omaha For Us LGBTQ Center: The Omaha For Us LGBTQ Center is a newly formed community group dedicated to supporting, celebrating and building connections within the city’s LGBTQ community. The group plans a variety of events and provides resources throughout the year. It’s a great way for LGBTQ youth in the city to get involved and build community.
- One World Omaha LGBTQ Healthcare: One World Omaha LGBTQ Healthcare is a LGBTQ-oriented health care organization dedicated to providing a safe, open, and welcoming space for members of the city’s LGBTQ community to receive excellent, high-quality comprehensive, and compassionate care and wellness services.
Omaha’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Omaha has so much to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. While there are many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from, here are a few that are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community:
- Old Market: For those looking for an eclectic, vibrant, LGBTQ neighborhood, Old Market should definitely be on the list. In addition to its lively nightlife and eclectic collection of restaurants, bars, and shops, Old Market is very walkable and offers a variety of housing options. Old Market is considered an extension of Omaha’s downtown area, and as a result, there aren’t many single-family homes available, although some can be found, along with multiple condos, apartments, and townhome options. Over the last year, the median sale price of homes in Old Market was around $340,000.
- Morton Meadows: Also known as Twin Ridge, Morton Meadows is known as a neighborhood full of beautiful, walkable green spaces, charming homes, and much to see and do, as well as many LGBTQ-friendly businesses. The median sale price of homes in Morton Meadows over the last year was around $281,000.
- Prairie Lane: Prairie Lane is a little further out from the heart of town and has a more suburban feel, but it is certainly a very family-friendly neighborhood with excellent shopping, dining, and entertainment options, not to mention being friendly and welcoming to all. The median sale price of homes in the Prairie Lane neighborhood over the course of the last year was around $312,000.
While these two neighborhoods are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community, there are many other diverse, welcoming, and friendly areas of town as well that may be worth considering depending upon your budget and personal home style preferences. Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact an Omaha Gay Realtor Today
Omaha is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Omaha and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Omaha has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Omaha, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact an Omaha gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!