Anchorage is a stunningly beautiful city situated on the south coast of Alaska and ringed by mountains. It’s a progressive and innovative city with a thriving arts and culture scene, and much to see and do. Even better, it has a vibrant and diverse LGBTQ community, where all can feel welcome and celebrated. The LGBTQ community in Anchorage is well-supported by a variety of resources across the city, including:
- PFLAG Anchorage/South Central Alaska: PFLAG Anchorage/South Central Alaska is the city’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Anchorage seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- Identity Alaska: Identity Alaska is an LGBTQ community center serving the Anchorage area with the mission of advancing Alaska’s LGBTQ community through advocacy, education, and connectivity. Identity accomplishes this mission by offering resources, events, support, and networking opportunities to the LGBTQ community, friends, and allies in the greater Anchorage area.
- Alaska Pride Foundation: Alaska Pride Foundation is a statewide advocacy and community support group headquartered in Anchorage, and dedicated to educating, supporting, and celebrating the lives of LGBTQ individuals across the state of Alaska. The group works toward this mission daily by planning events, providing resources, and vocally advocating for the LGBTQ community and its friends and allies.
- Identity Health Clinic: Identity Health Clinic is a health clinic supported and run by Identity Alaska, which focuses on providing for a wide range of healthcare needs of Anchorage’s LGBTQ community.
- United States Gay Sports Network – Alaska: The Alaska branch of the United States Gay Sports Network is headquartered in Anchorage, and it’s a wonderful organization that seeks to include and celebrate all who wish to participate. The group believes that sports are for everyone, and it seeks to build community, encourage healthy exercise and competition, and promote a fun, inclusive atmosphere for all.
Anchorage’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Anchorage has so much to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. While there are many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from, here are a couple that are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community:
- Midtown District: Anchorage’s Midtown District is located north of Chester Creek, and is easily accessible from Anchorage’s downtown waterfront. The Midtown District has a lively and thriving music and performing arts scene, as well as many LGBTQ businesses, restaurants, and nightspots. The median list price of homes currently for sale in the Midtown District is approximately $280,000.
- Downtown: Downtown Anchorage is more commercial in feel than the Midtown District. Located right on the waterfront, it is an area that is very popular with tourists. Downtown Anchorage offers plenty to see and do, including numerous five-star restaurants, Anchorage’s gay and lesbian community center, and plenty of lively and fun LGBTQ nightspots. There’s also plenty of business opportunity in this walkable waterfront neighborhood, and a variety of housing options and price ranges to choose from. The median list price of homes currently for sale in Downtown Anchorage is approximately $169,000.
While these neighborhoods are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community, there are many other diverse, welcoming, and friendly areas of town as well that may be worth considering depending upon your budget and personal home style preferences. Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact an Anchorage Gay Realtor Today
Anchorage is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Anchorage and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Anchorage has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Anchorage, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact an Anchorage gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!