Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia, and part of what is known as the Hampton Roads Metro Area, along with Portsmouth, Hampton, and several other cities nearby. Situated on the coastline of the Atlantic Ocean, it is a beautiful place, to say the least. It is certainly a popular tourist destination, although it is also home to many historic sites, three military bases, and plenty to see and do. Even better, it has a thriving and diverse LGBTQ community, where all can feel welcome and celebrated. The LGBTQ community in Virginia Beach is well-supported by a variety of resources across the city, including:
- PFLAG Norfolk/South Hampton Roads: PFLAG Norfolk/South Hampton Roads is the city’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Virginia Beach seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- LGBTQ Life Center: The LGBTQ Life Center of Virginia Beach is a community center that has been serving the greater Virginia Beach area for more than 30 years. It is dedicated to providing a safe and welcoming space, as well as resources and support to the LGBTQ community, and its friends, and allies. The center accomplishes this mission through education, empowerment, community building, and outreach.
- Equality Virginia: Equality Virginia is a statewide advocacy and community support group dedicated to educating, supporting, and celebrating the lives of LGBTQ individuals across the state of Virginia. The group works toward this mission daily by planning events, providing resources, and vocally advocating for the LGBTQ community and its friends and allies.
- Hampton Roads Pride: Hampton Roads Pride is a community-based organization dedicated to supporting and serving the LGBTQ community in the greater Virginia Beach area throughout the year. The group provides resources and plans a variety of events throughout the year, including the annual pride celebration. Hampton Roads Pride also has the only PrideFest Boat Parade in the United States, honoring the area’s significant maritime heritage.
- Hampton Roads Business Outreach (HRBOR): The Hampton Roads Business Outreach, HRBOR for short, is a LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce dedicated to supporting, celebrating, and building connections within the greater Virginia Beach business community. The group plans a variety of events and provides resources throughout the year.
- Stonewall Sports Norfolk: Founded in 2010, Stonewall Sports is a non-profit, LGBTQ sports organization that seeks to include and celebrate all who wish to participate. The group believes that sports are for everyone, and it seeks to build community, encourage healthy exercise and competition, and promote a fun, inclusive atmosphere for all who participate.
Virginia Beach’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Virginia Beach has so much to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. While there are many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from, here are a few that are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community:
- Great Neck: For those looking for a friendly neighborhood that is very welcoming to the LGBTQ community, close to downtown, walkable, and safe, you’ll definitely want to consider Great Neck. This neighborhood is only about fifteen minutes from downtown, and it is known for its charming ranches and beautiful colonial-style homes. It also offers excellent schools for those with children. The median list price of homes currently for sale in Great Neck is approximately $389,000.
- Seatack: For those looking for a vibrant, downtown neighborhood with plenty of people and nightlife, Seatack is it. This neighborhood is particularly popular with young professionals but is welcoming to all. It’s an oceanfront neighborhood and boasts plenty of townhomes and condos for all budgets. The median list price of homes currently for sale in Seatack is approximately $345,000.
- Kempsville: For those looking for a very family-friendly neighborhood with a more suburban feel, Kempsville is a great choice. It offers a variety of home styles in varying price ranges, plenty of outdoor recreational opportunities, good schools, and great shopping and dining options. The median list price of homes currently for sale in Kempsville is approximately $270,000.
While these neighborhoods are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community, there are many other diverse, welcoming, and friendly areas of town as well that may be worth considering depending upon your budget and personal home style preferences. Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact a Virginia Beach Gay Realtor Today
Virginia Beach is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Virginia Beach and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Virginia Beach has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Virginia Beach, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact a Virginia Beach gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!