Located along the western bank of the Potomac River, Alexandria, Virginia is a beautiful, vibrant city with so much to offer visitors and residents alike. Although technically a part of the larger D.C. metro area, the city has its own unique and eclectic personality, a rich history, and many welcoming neighborhoods. Even better, it has a vibrant and diverse LGBTQ community, where all can feel welcome and celebrated. The LGBTQ community in Alexandria is well-supported by a variety of resources across the city, including:
- PFLAG Alexandria: PFLAG Alexandria is the city’s local chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Alexandria seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- AGLA: AGLA initially began as the Arlington Chapter of the Virginia Gay Alliance and is a non-profit, community-centered organization dedicated to its mission of celebrating, serving, and supporting the LGBTQ community in Northern Virginia. The group works toward achieving its mission year-round through events, meetings, networking opportunities, and providing resources and other support systems.
- Equality Virginia Equality Virginia is an essential education and advocacy group that works tirelessly for the recognition of LGBTQ rights across the state of Virginia. The group plans events, offers volunteer opportunities, and strives to create alliances and opportunities to build community, end discrimination, and advance important LGBTQ causes.
- Equality Chamber of Commerce: The Equality Chamber of Commerce is a nonprofit network of nearly 3,000 community members and professionals who own or operate a business in the greater Washington D.C. metro area. The center’s mission is to promote, facilitate, and advocate for the success of local LGBTQ businesses.
- LGBTQ Veteran Care: VA Alexandria Health provides comprehensive, compassionate care to all LGBTQ patients who seek care, and specifically has a branch dedicated to helping and serving LGBTQ veterans across the greater Alexandria community.
Alexandria’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Alexandria has so much to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. While there are many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from, here are a couple that are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community:
- Old Town: Old Town is a very popular Alexandria neighborhood and one which is very welcoming to the LGBTQ community. It is known for its historic character, and bustling, walkable, tree-lined streets filled with boutique shops, eclectic restaurants, and happening nightspots. The median list price of homes currently for sale in Old Town is approximately $359,000.
- Lincolnia Park: Lincolnia Park is one of the older areas of the city and is a very gay-friendly community. The neighborhood has a safe and cozy feel, and a historic character, while offering much to see and do. A variety of home styles in varying price ranges are available. The median list price of homes currently for sale in Lincolnia Park is around $540,000.
While these neighborhoods are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community, there are many other diverse, welcoming, and friendly areas of town as well that may be worth considering depending upon your budget and personal home style preferences. Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact an Alexandria Gay Realtor Today
Alexandria is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Alexandria and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Alexandria has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Alexandria, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact an Alexandria gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!