Oakland is a vibrant, eclectic, and incredibly diverse Bay Area city. A neighbor of San Francisco, it offers easy access to all that the Golden Gate city has to offer, while still being a unique and bustling city in its own right. Oakland has amazing art and culture scene and offers so much to do for visitors and residents alike. Even better, it has a thriving and diverse LGBTQ community, where all can feel welcome and celebrated. The LGBTQ community in Oakland is well-supported by a variety of resources across the city, including:
- PFLAG Oakland-East Bay: PFLAG Oakland-East Bay is the city’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Oakland seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- Oakland LGBTQ Community Center: The Oakland LGBTQ Community Center is a pillar of the Oakland community and prides itself on being Oakland’s “first and only” LGBTQ community center. Founded in 2017, the center, located in the beautiful Lake Merritt district, provides social, educational, and holistic health-related programs, services, and activities for the LGBTQ community in the greater Oakland area.
- Qulture Collective: Qulture Collective is a community-based organization that seeks to bring artists, activists, entrepreneurs, and visionaries from the LGBTQ and allied communities. It seeks to create shared creative spaces, support, and jobs that will benefit the community for generations.
- Golden Gate Business Association: The Golden Gate Business Association is dedicated to supporting, celebrating, and building connections within the greater Bay Area business community. The group plans a variety of events and provides resources throughout the year.
- Pacific Center: The Pacific Center is a LGBTQ community center dedicated to serving the East Bay and Greater Bay Area and offering a broad array of human and health services for all LGBTQ people.
Oakland’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Oakland has so much to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. While there are many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from, here are a couple that are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community:
- Temescal: Temescal is a hip, lively neighborhood with a burgeoning arts scene, several coffee shops on Telegraph Avenue, and easy access to the local BART station. It has a great craft brew scene, plenty of restaurants, shops, and nightlife to enjoy, and friendly neighbors. The median home value in Temescal is currently around 1.5 million dollars.
- Uptown: Though it’s called Uptown, this is actually the “downtown” area of Oakland. Broadway is the main drag, and the area is home to the Fox and Paramount theaters, numerous bars and eateries, and plenty of things to see and do. The median list price of homes currently for sale in Oakland is around $650,000.
While these two neighborhoods are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community, there are many other diverse, welcoming, and friendly areas of town as well that may be worth considering depending upon your budget and personal home style preferences. Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact an Oakland Gay Realtor Today
Oakland is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Oakland and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Oakland has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Oakland, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact an Oakland gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!