Located in the southeastern portion of Oahu, Honolulu is a beautiful piece of paradise full of sunshine, sand, and sea. People often immediately associate Honolulu with its incredible natural beauty, and rightfully so – it certainly offers plenty of that. In addition to its natural beauty, however, it is also a city with a rich and thriving arts culture, plenty of opportunities, and so much to see and do. Even better, it has a vibrant and welcoming LGBTQ community where all can feel a part of things and find their niche. The LGBTQ community in Honolulu is well-supported by a variety of resources across the city, including:
- PFLAG Oahu: PFLAG Oahu is Honolulu’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Honolulu seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- Hawaii LGBTQ Legacy Foundation: The Hawaii Legacy Foundation is a community foundation dedicated to serving and celebrating the LGBTQ community across the island. It is committed to creating a legacy of hope, equality, and unity, and it works toward that mission by providing events, resources, and support to the LGBTQ community, friends, and allies across the island.
- Honolulu Gay and Lesbian Cultural Foundation: The Honolulu Gay & Lesbian Cultural Foundation is a non-profit organization that seeks to educate and raise awareness across the greater Honolulu community of gay & lesbian culture, arts, and lifestyle. HGLCF presents the Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival each year and hosts a number of other events and activities as well.
- Equality Hawaii: Equality Hawaii is an essential education and advocacy group that works tirelessly for the recognition of LGBTQ rights across the state of Hawaii. The group plans events, offers volunteer opportunities, and strives to create alliances and opportunities to build community, end discrimination, and advance important LGBTQ causes.
- Hawaii Rainbow Chamber of Commerce: The Hawaii Rainbow Chamber of Commerce is an essential, driving force supporting LGBTQ businesses across the state of Hawaii. The group seeks to promote and empower the LGBTQ business community by providing networking, advocacy, and education opportunities, and encouraging business growth and community engagement.
- Hawaii Queer Hiking and Activities Group: The Hawaii LGBTQ Hiking and Activities Group is a great way to enjoy the stunning and unique natural beauty of Hawaii, while also making new friends in the LGBTQ community, getting some exercise, and simply having fun. A variety of events and activities are offered each month.
Honolulu’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Honolulu has so much to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. While there are many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from, here are a couple that are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community:
- Hawaii Kai: The Hawaii Kai area is located approximately twelve miles northeast of Honolulu, making it close enough to communicate for work, but far enough away to enable a more suburban lifestyle. This area is known for its beautiful beaches and great surfing. The median sale price of homes in Hawaii Kai over the course of the last year was around $1,255,000.
- Makiki: The Makiki neighborhood in the northeast portion of Honolulu stretches from Downtown to Manoa and Waikiki and consists primarily of older homes, including many bungalows. The neighborhood is very ethnically diverse and is ideally situated near the beautiful Waikiki beaches. The median sale price of homes in Makiki over the course of the last year was around $415,000.
While these neighborhoods are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community, there are many other diverse, welcoming, and friendly areas of town as well that may be worth considering depending upon your budget and personal home style preferences. Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact a Honolulu Gay Realtor Today
Honolulu is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Honolulu and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Honolulu has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Honolulu, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact a Honolulu gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!