Washington D.C. is our nation’s capital – a beautiful, bustling, busy city that is the heart of our political system, and home to many of those involved in keeping the wheels of our government turning each day. Beyond that, however, it’s also a city with a rich arts and culture scene, many innovative industries and business opportunities, and much to see and do. Even better, it’s a city full of many diverse and welcoming neighborhoods, as well as a thriving and vibrant LGBTQ community.
Among the many wonderful things that Washington DC offers its residents are many helpful resources and groups dedicated to the mission of serving, supporting, and celebrating Washington DC’s LGBTQ+ community. Some of those resources include:
- PFLAG-DC: PFLAG-DC is Washington DC’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Washington DC seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- The DC Center for the LGBTQ Community: The DC Center for the LGBTQ Community is an integral part of LGBTQ life in the Washington D.C. area. With the mission of educating, empowering, celebrating, and connecting the LGBTQ community across the city, this community-based group plans events, provides resources, offers support, and much more. It’s a great place to become connected to the community and get involved.
- SMYAL: SMYAL is a youth-oriented community group that seeks to advocate for and empower LGBTQ youth in the Washington D.C. area so that they can seize each day and prepare for the future. The group works toward fulfilling this mission each day by providing a wide variety of events and opportunities to become involved, as well as support groups, helpful resources, and more.
- ECC/DC: ECC/DC, short for the “Equality Chamber of Commerce – DC” is a non-profit, community-based LGBTQ business organization of the greater Washington DC area. With several thousand LGBTQ+ professionals, businesses, and allies as members, the group is an essential part of promoting and supporting LGBTQ+ businesses across the region.
- Whitman-Walker Health: Whitman-Walker Health is an essential provider of vital medical care to Washington D.C.’s LGBTQ community, offering a wide variety of resources and care options.
Washington DC’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Washington DC has a great deal to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the many wonderful LGBTQ+ neighborhoods throughout the city. Some of the neighborhoods in Washington DC which are most popular with the LGBTQ community include:
- Dupont Circle: One of the most traditional gay neighborhoods in the area, Dupont Circle is full of interesting shops, cafes, bookstores, bars, and restaurants all geared toward the LGBTQ community. The area tends to be on the more expensive side when compared to other D.C. neighborhoods and is characterized by Queen Anne, Richardsonian, and Beaux-Arts-style homes. The median sale price of homes in the Dupont Circle area over the course of the last year was around $572,000.
- Capitol Hill: This is the neighborhood where many gay and single families move to get away from the hubbub. Still near the excitement, but a quiet LGBTQ enclave, Capitol Hill is elegant and informed. Here you can find restaurants, markets, crafts, antiques, and all types of unique entertainment. This area also tends to be on the more expensive side, but for those who have more room in the budget, there are some wonderful options available. The median sale price of homes in the Capitol Hill neighborhood over the last year was around $795,000.
- Columbia Heights: Columbia Heights is a very diverse and welcoming area of D.C. that is popular with many Latino residents, and which welcomes the LGBTQ community with open arms. In recent years, the area has been revitalized, allowing for a great amount of growth, and new diversity in both business and population. The median sale price of homes in the Columbia Heights neighborhood over the course of the last year was $638,000.
Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact a Washington DC Gay Realtor Today
Without a doubt, Washington DC is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Washington DC and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Washington DC has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Washington DC, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact a Washington DC gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!