Philadelphia is a city with a long and rich history – in fact, many know it as the Birthplace of Independence, because it is the city where both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were signed. It’s the home of the Liberty Bell, and of some of the best cheesesteak anywhere in the world. Even better, it’s a city that’s home to many diverse groups of people and plenty of unique neighborhoods, where all can feel welcomed and celebrated for who they are. After all, Philadelphia is called the City of Brotherly Love for a reason!
Among the many wonderful things that Philadelphia offers its residents are many helpful resources and groups dedicated to the mission of serving, supporting, and celebrating Philadelphia’s LGBTQ+ community. Some of those resources include:
- PFLAG Philadelphia: PFLAG Philadelphia is Philadelphia’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Philadelphia seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- The William Way Community Center: The William Way LGBTQ Community Center advertises itself as “The Place Where Every LGBTQIA+ Person Belongs,” and it truly seeks to live up to that mission year-round, by providing social groups, counseling, networking events, support services, and a wide variety of resources to the community it serves.
- The Attic Youth Center: The Attic Youth Center is a social services agency that seeks to serve and provide for the needs of LGBTQ youth across the city of Philadelphia. The group seeks to create opportunities for youth to grow into healthy, independent, and engaged adults, who feel celebrated and encouraged by the community in which they live. Services provided by the group include a wide variety of events, opportunities to volunteer, support groups, helpful resources, and more.
- The LGBTQ Elder Initiative: The LGBTQ Elder Initiative is a community services group dedicated to serving the needs of greater Philadelphia’s older LGBTQ community members. The group offers event planning, support groups, and a variety of resources to the community, with the mission of ensuring that Philadelphia’s older LGBTQ population feels supported, celebrated, and encouraged to live vibrant lives, and for all to feel welcomed and celebrated for who they are.
- Independence Business Alliance: The Philadelphia Independence Business Alliance is an integral part of the greater Philadelphia LGBTQ+ community, particularly those who are business owners, or who are interested in supporting other LGBTQ+ business owners. The group seeks to encourage and promote the growth of LGBTQ+ business owners throughout the city, and help owners make valuable connections to their communities.
Philadelphia’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Philadelphia has a great deal to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the many wonderful LGBTQ+ neighborhoods throughout the city. Some of the neighborhoods in Philadelphia which are most popular with the LGBTQ community include:
- Washington Square West: This neighborhood is considered by many to be the “gayborhood” of Philly. It’s a neighborhood in downtown that corresponds to the area between 7th and Broad Streets and is a desirable residential community with a diverse array of shops, coffee houses, and restaurants. The area contains a multitude of gay-friendly establishments and is home to the city’s popular LGBTQ event “Outfest” every year. The real estate in the area is a mix of commercial and residential. It’s characterized by 2 to 4 story rowhouses that are interspersed with mid-rise apartments and condos. There is also a lot of office space with ground-floor retail. The median sale price of homes in the Washington Square West area over the course of the last year was around $390,000.
- Manayunk: This is a coveted neighborhood on Philadelphia’s northwest side. Manayunk is known by many as one of the best places to go for a fun night out in the city. It’s filled with eclectic bars and unique eateries. The area has Victorian-style homes, lofts, and rowhouses that hug the Schuylkill Riverbanks. Cute galleries and boutiques line the streets punctuated with trendy bars, and residents are friendly and welcoming. The median sale price of homes in the Manayunk area over the course of the last year was around $337,500.
- Fitler Square: With a population of fewer than 2,000 people, Fitler Square is a residential neighborhood with a dense urban feel. The region is a mix of stately brick townhouses, quaint cafes, and hip wine bars. Fitler Square is known for its bronze turtle sculptures and the large Victorian-era water fountain. It’s also a neighborhood that is very walkable and welcoming. Homes in Fitler Square can tend to be on the pricier side, but for those who have room in the budget for a more expensive home, there are some wonderful options available. The median sale price of homes in the Fitler Square area over the course of the last year was $940,000.
Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact a Philadelphia Gay Realtor Today
Without a doubt, Philadelphia is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Philadelphia and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Philadelphia has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Philadelphia, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact a Philadelphia gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!