It’s important to work with someone who is supportive of our LGBTQ+ community because buying or selling a home can be a personal and emotional experience, and you want to work with someone who is understanding and respectful of your identity and needs.
Working with an LGBTQ+ friendly real estate agent can help to ensure that your interests and preferences are represented and advocated for throughout the real estate transaction.
For example, an LGBTQ+ friendly real estate agent may be more familiar with LGBTQ+ neighborhoods or resources, and they may be able to offer guidance and support that is specifically tailored to your needs.
Working with an LGBTQ+ friendly real estate agent can also help to create a sense of safety and security during what can be a stressful and challenging process. You can be confident that your agent is knowledgeable about your unique situation, and that they will work to protect your interests and advocate for your needs.
Here are a few ways to determine if a real estate agent is LGBTQ+ friendly:
- The most reliable way to find an LGBTQ+ friendly realtor is to use a trusted resource like GayRealEstate.com. The 3500+ LGBTQ+ realtors have been serving our community in every city in America for over 25 years!
- Check their website: Many real estate agents have a website that describes their services and values. Look for statements or indicators that suggest they are welcoming to LGBTQ+ individuals and families.
- Ask for referrals: Reach out to friends, family members, or colleagues who have recently bought or sold a home and ask if they worked with a real estate agent who was LGBTQ+ friendly.
- Interview potential agents: Before hiring a real estate agent, schedule a consultation to get to know them and ask questions about their experience working with LGBTQ+ clients. You may want to ask if they have experience working with LGBTQ+ clients, if they have any LGBTQ+ certifications or designations, and if they are familiar with LGBTQ+ neighborhoods or resources in the area.
- Look for LGBTQ+ real estate organizations: Some real estate organizations specialize in working with the LGBTQ+ community. You can search for organizations like GayRealEstate.com, LesbianRealEstate.com, etc. to find agents who are experienced in working with LGBTQ+ clients.
By using these methods, you can find a real estate agent who is knowledgeable, supportive, and welcoming to LGBTQ+ individuals and families. Homeownership can provide a range of benefits and be a great decision for many LGBTQ+ individuals and families.
Jeff Hammerberg is a distinguished entrepreneur and broker, and the visionary founder of GayRealEstate.com. For over 25 years, he has been a prolific writer, coach, and author who has been instrumental in advancing the cause of fair, honest, and equitable representation for all members of the LGBTQ+ community in real estate matters. GayRealEstate.com, which he established, is the largest and longest-running gay real estate agent referral service in the nation, boasting over 3500 LGBTQ+ realtors who operate in cities across the United States. His commitment to promoting inclusivity and accessibility in real estate has earned him a reputation as a passionate advocate for the LGBTQ+ community.