If you’re looking for a friendly and diverse midwestern city where you can feel at home, be part of a vibrant LGBTQ community, and enjoy much to see and do, Milwaukee might be a wonderful choice. Situated on the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is Wisconsin’s largest city, and one of its most diverse. In fact, in 2016, Milwaukee was ranked as one of the top 10 “Under the Gaydar” cities in the country, for its wide variety of gay nightlife options, hospitality, and for holding one of the nation’s largest and longest-running pride events each year. Truly it is a city of midwestern hospitality that celebrates all its diversity and the wide variety of people that make it wonderful. Even better, it is a city with many welcoming neighborhoods and a LGBTQ community that is well-supported by a variety of resources and community groups across the city. Some of those resources include:
- PFLAG Milwaukee: PFLAG Milwaukee is Milwaukee’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Milwaukee seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- Milwaukee LGBTQ Community Center: The Milwaukee LGBTQ Community Center is a center that is dedicated to serving the needs of the LGBTQ community in the greater Milwaukee area, and in making the city safer and more inclusive for all. The center offers counseling, educational resources, activities, and a variety of other programs which further its mission of promoting and celebrating the diversity that the LGBTQ community brings to the city.
- Wisconsin LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce: The Wisconsin LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce is an award-winning LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce that connects professionals and business owners throughout the state of Wisconsin. The group seeks to advocate for and facilitate the success of the LGBTQ business community, and it does so very well. Through providing networking opportunities, personal and professional development programs, a wide variety of resources, and more, the Wisconsin LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce is an essential part of creating a more vibrant and inclusive LGBTQ business community across the state of Wisconsin.
- Courage MKE: Courage MKE is a community-based charity that seeks to raise funds and awareness for LGBTQ+ youth in the greater Milwaukee area. The group works tirelessly throughout the year to ensure that LGBTQ+ youth have the skills, tools, and resources needed to grow into successful leaders and individuals who are truly celebrated for who they are.
- Greater Milwaukee Center for Health and Wellness: Greater Milwaukee Center for Health & Wellness, Inc. is a community-based health services center dedicated to the practice of primary health care, as well as health-related social services care coordination. While the group serves all of the Greater Milwaukee area, there is a special focus on vulnerable populations, such as the LGBTQ+ community, that might traditionally experience barriers to accessing health care. The organization seeks to provide comprehensive and non-judgmental care to all.
Milwaukee’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Milwaukee has a great deal to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. While there are many wonderful neighborhoods throughout the city, a few that are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community include:
- The East Side: The East Side is the neighborhood that is considered to be any area east of the Milwaukee River. This beautiful area features two parks which were designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, and it is characterized by a balanced blend of shops and restaurants intermingled with a variety of housing options. The median listing price of homes currently for sale in the East Side is approximately $287,000.
- Historic Third Ward: The Historic Third Ward is an upscale neighborhood in Milwaukee that is very popular with the LGBTQ community. Characterized by antique stores, boutiques, and art galleries, it also allows for easy access to a variety of entertainment and event options, like Summerfest an evening out at one of the outdoor River Walk restaurants, or one of many other shops, parks, restaurants, or areas of interest. The median list price of homes currently for sale in the Historic Third Ward is around $255,000.
- Walker’s Point: Walker’s Point was initially founded as a fur trading post in 1835. Located just south of the Third Ward, it is opening up to increased condominium and retail development. Although the area is still largely industrial, it does have pockets of residential space. Gay bars abound on 1st and 2nd Streets, which are part of the neighborhood. The median list price of homes in Walker’s Point over the last year was around $135,000.
Although these neighborhoods are certainly popular, there are many wonderful and welcoming neighborhoods in the area to choose from. Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact a Milwaukee Gay Realtor Today
Without a doubt, Milwaukee is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Milwaukee and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Milwaukee has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Milwaukee, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact a Milwaukee gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!