Portland is the largest city in Oregon, and certainly one of its most diverse and eclectic. Offering an abundance of stunning outdoor beauty, a rich arts and culture scene, plenty of opportunities, and a fun, funky vibe, it’s a city loved by many for so many reasons. Even better, Portland is a very diverse, progressive city with a large, vibrant, and active LGBTQ community that is well-supported by a variety of resources and community groups across the city. Some of those resources include:
- PFLAG Portland: PFLAG Portland is Portland’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Portland seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- Q Center: Q Center is of the pillars of the LGBTQ community in the greater Portland area. This LGBTQ community organization has the mission of cultivating connections and providing access to resources that promote, support, and encourage the interests and needs of the LGBTQ+ community in the greater Portland area. The group offers a wide variety of resources, programs, events, and a variety of ways to get involved and become connected to the community.
- Basic Rights Oregon: Basic Rights Oregon is a statewide organization that works daily to ensure that all LGBTQ+ Oregonians experience equality. It is a group with a mission of a broad, inclusive, and politically powerful movement that will create an inclusive, supportive Oregon for all.
- The Living Room: The Living Room is a community-based youth organization with the goal of serving youth between the ages of 14 and 20 in the greater Portland area. The Living Room is intended to be a safe, welcoming, and supportive space for all.
- Prism Health: Prism Health is a Portland-based healthcare provider that seeks to offer an affirming, safe space for all members of the LGBTQ community to receive the compassionate, comprehensive health care that they need and deserve.
Portland’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Portland has so much to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. While there are many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from, here are a few that are particularly popular with the LGBTQ community:
- Downtown Portland: Downtown Portland has recently gone through a complete renaissance and has been established as an LGBTQ enclave in the city. Downtown is a buzzing and vibrant area with indie shops selling local brands, creative dining, and eclectic food trucks. The Tom McCall Waterfront Park is right nearby, and the Portland Saturday Market is in the neighborhood too. The area is also home to the Portland Art Museum and the Keller Auditorium. The median value of homes in Downtown Portland is currently around $413,000.
- The Pearl District: This is a former industrial section of Portland that now booms with commerce and art. This district is often called “fashionable” and “lively” and is the prime shopping destination in the city. From hip brands to indie boutiques and warehouse spaces, it’s a cool neighborhood to live in. The median sale price of homes sold over the course of the last year in the Pearl District was around $433,000.
- Southwest Hills: One of the most upscale neighborhoods in Portland, this area is upbeat and known for the attractions offered in one space. You can find the Oregon Zoo, Portland Japanese Garden, Marquam Nature Park, and much more. Hilltop Council Crest offers excellent panoramic views of the city. There is also a variety of dining options in the area from pubs to American eateries. The current median value of homes in Southwest Hills is around $1,000,000.
Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact a Portland Gay Realtor Today
Clearly, Portland is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Portland and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Portland has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Portland, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact a Portland gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!