Situated in southeastern Texas, Houston is the largest city in the state, and certainly one of its most diverse. It’s a city known for being innovative and full of opportunity – home to the Johnson Space Center, one of NASA’s primary centers and the location of Mission Control, as well as many higher-level learning institutions, cutting-edge medical facilities, and businesses of all kinds. It’s also a city with a vibrant arts scene, much to see and do, and plenty of friendly and welcoming people. Even better, it has a large, very active LGBTQ community that is well-supported by a variety of resources and community groups across the city. Some of those resources include:
- PFLAG Houston: PFLAG Houston is Houston’s chapter of the national PFLAG organization, which is a support, education, and advocacy organization for LGBTQ people, as well as their families, friends, and allies. It is the largest grassroots-based family organization of its kind in the country. PFLAG Houston seeks to celebrate and support the city’s LGBTQ community and to create an environment of understanding so that everyone can live in a world that is safe and inclusive.
- Pride Houston: Pride Houston has been providing LGBTQ individuals and allies in the greater Houston area with resources, support, and community-building opportunities for over 30 years. The group plans a variety of events throughout the year, the most popular of which is the Houston Pride Festival and Parade, which typically draws huge crowds of more than 200,000 people from all over the world.
- Greater Houston LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce: The Greater Houston LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce seeks to be a leading economic voice in the Greater Houston region. Its mission is to accelerate economic opportunity for the LGBTQ business community through a strong network of allies, innovative programs, and strategic partnerships, and by advancing policies that foster economic inclusion and equality.
- Open Gate: Open Gate is a program dedicated to providing a safe and welcoming place for homeless LGBTQ youth and young adults ages 18 to 30 in the greater Houston area by connecting those individuals with various resources to meet their needs.
- Avenue 360 Health and Wellness: Avenue 360 Health and Wellness is a community-oriented health services organization that seeks to provide health and wellness care to the LGBTQ community in the greater Houston area. The Center prides itself on providing compassionate, excellent health care and social services to its patients, regardless of economic status.
Houston’s Best Neighborhoods
Without question, Houston has a great deal to offer its LGBTQ+ community, and those resources are intended to reach the LGBTQ+ community throughout the city. While there are many wonderful neighborhoods throughout the city, by far the epicenter of gay life and the most popular with the LGBTQ community is Neartown-Montrose. Neartown-Montrose is a funky, friendly neighborhood known for having many gay bars, an eclectic mix of vintage shops and unique restaurants, and older homes with plenty of character. It’s a very walkable, welcoming area, and one that is very popular with the LGBTQ community. The median home value of homes sold in the neighborhood over the course of the last year was around $642,000.
For those who want to live in neighborhoods that aren’t quite as busy and have a more suburban feel, recommendations might include Katy, which is an upscale, diverse neighborhood located just west of the city limits. The median list price of homes currently for sale in the Katy neighborhood is around $500,000. Others might also be interested in The Woodlands, which is also a popular neighborhood full of trails and outdoor recreation opportunities, in addition to a wide variety of home styles in varying price ranges. The current median list price of homes for sale in this area is around $592,000.
Although these neighborhoods are certainly popular, there are many wonderful and welcoming neighborhoods in the area to choose from. Regardless of which neighborhood ends up being most appealing to you, one thing is certain – you’ll need the help of a realtor who knows and loves that community to help you find the home you love, and that’s truly the best fit for you. At www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here to help you do exactly that.
Contact a Houston Gay Realtor Today
Without a doubt, Houston is a city with so much to offer its LGBTQ community. Whether you already live in Houston and you’re thinking of moving to a new home, or if you’re planning to relocate to the area to enjoy all that Houston has to offer, at www.GayRealEstate.com, we’re here for you. We would love to help you take the first step toward finding an agent who knows and loves the community, and who can help you find a home and a neighborhood you’ll love. We’re proud to have a network of the best realtors in Houston, and we would love to help connect you with one today. Contact a Houston gay realtor today for a free, no-obligation consultation!